Tuesday 12 May 2020

stories from the archives #2 Sri Lanka Special Boat Squadron

A few years back I went to Sri Lanka to shoot a travel story but the trip was a washout with grey skies and almost constant rain. I was pretty dejected by day nine of the ten day trip as I set off for a barefoot beach walk with just a canon 5D and a 24-70 zoom. The sky was steely grey and it was drizzling as I rounded a headland to see a large group of seemingly terrified young men in army fatigues being screamed at by senior officers as they were put through exercises that included forced marches into the sea. I’d stumbled upon the Sri Lankan special boat squadron on a training exercise. I was the only other person on the beach and as I drew closer taking photographs I was warned off but somehow managed to get right into the action over the next hour or so before sunset. This series won the personal project prize at the AOP awards












No comments:

Post a Comment